How To Fix A Computer That Randomly Restarts
If you are looking for the answer to “How To Fix A Computer That Randomly Restarts When Gaming?”
You must be a PC gamer and you know how frustrating it can be when your computer randomly restarts while you’re in the middle of a game.
This can cause you to lose progress, or even worse, cost you a victory. In this blog post, we will discuss some causes of this issue and how to fix it.
What Causes A Computer To Randomly Restart When Gaming?
There are a few different things that could be causing this, and it can be tough to narrow down the culprit. Sometimes, it’s simply a matter of your computer overheating.
If you’re playing a particularly demanding game, your CPU or GPU may overheat and cause your system to shut down as a safety measure.
If the temperature isn’t the issue, it could be that your power supply is faulty or insufficient for your needs.
If your power supply is undersized, it may not be able to handle the increased demand when you’re gaming and cause your system to restart.
Alternatively, a faulty power supply may not be able to deliver a steady flow of power, which can also cause random shutdowns.
Finally, there may be something wrong with your computer’s hardware. Especially if you’ve recently added any new components.
If not, you may need to take your computer to a qualified technician to have it diagnosed.
Is it Harmful For a Computer To Restart Suddenly?
Gaming computers are designed to handle the demands of running resource-intensive games.
However, even the most powerful gaming rig can be damaged by sudden power surges or shutdowns.
These events can cause a variety of problems, ranging from corrupted data to physical damage to the components.
While most gaming computers are equipped with protection against power surges, it’s still possible for damage to occur.
For example, if a game crashes and the computer shuts down abruptly, there is a risk of the graphics card being damaged.
In addition, sudden power surges can cause the motherboard to short-circuit, potentially damaging other components as well.
As a result, it’s important to be aware of the risks associated with sudden power outages or shutdowns, and take steps to protect your computer accordingly.
How To Fix A Computer That Randomly Restarts When Gaming?
Sometimes when you’re in the middle of an intense gaming session, your computer will suddenly restart without any warning.
This can be extremely frustrating, especially if you’re in the middle of a heated battle or trying to achieve a new high score.
There are a few different things that could be causing this issue, but fortunately, there are also a few different ways to fix it.
To overcome the heating of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) or Central Processing Unit (CPU) make sure that your computer has adequate cooling and ventilation.
Clean out vents and fans regularly. You may also want to consider investing in a larger or more powerful fan.
If your computer is still restarting due to overheating, you may need to reduce the graphics settings on your games or even stop playing for a while until the problem can be fully resolved.
Another possible reason for random restarts while gaming is a hardware conflict.
This can happen if you have two pieces of hardware that are incompatible with each other or if there’s something wrong with one of the pieces of the hardware itself.
To fix this, you’ll need to identify the conflicting hardware and either remove it or replace it. Once you’ve resolved the conflict, your computer should be able to run games without randomly restarting.
Insufficient Power Supply
If your computer’s power supply is insufficient or faulty, this can also cause random shutdowns while gaming.
The first thing you should do is check the manufacturer’s specifications to see how much power your computer needs and make sure that your power supply can provide that much.
If it isn’t, you’ll need to replace it with a new one. Additionally, if you suspect that your power supply is faulty, you can try replacing it with a new one to see if that fixes the problem.
Newly Installed Components
Finally, if you’ve recently added any new components to your computers, such as a new hard drive or graphics card, they may be causing the issue.
In this case, try removing the new component and see if that fixes the problem. If not, you may need to take your computer to a qualified technician to have it diagnosed.
By following these steps, you should be able to fix a computer that randomly restarts when gaming. If the problem persists, however, you may need to seek professional help to resolve the issue.
How To Prevent A Computer From Randomly Restarting When Gaming?
Here are a few things you can do to prevent your computer from randomly restarting when gaming:
- It’s important to make sure your graphics card is firmly seated in its slot. To do this, first power down your computer and unplug all the cables. Then open up your computer’s case and locate the graphics card. It should be in a PCI Express slot near the back of the case. Gently remove the card from its slot and then inspect the slot for any dust or debris. If you see any, use a can of compressed air to blow it out. Once the slot is clean, gently insert the card back into its slot and make sure it’s seated firmly in place. You may need to use a little force to get it to seat properly. Finally, close up your computer’s case, plug everything back in, and power on your computer. Your graphics card should now be firmly seated and functioning properly.
- Check your graphics card driver and make sure it is up to date. You can usually find the latest drivers on the manufacturer’s website.
- If you are using multiple monitors, try disconnecting one of them and see if that resolves the issue.
- If you have recently installed any new software or hardware, try uninstalling it or reverting to an older version.
- Open the case of your computer and make sure all the cables are securely connected and there is no dust build-up inside.
- Try resetting your BIOS to the default settings.
- Make sure your power supply is adequate for your system. If you are using a laptop, try plugging it in to see if that makes a difference.
- Update your operating system and all drivers to the latest versions.
- Run a virus scan using your anti-virus software.
By following these steps, you can prevent your computer from randomly restarting when gaming.
In conclusion, if your computer randomly restarts when gaming, it is likely due to one of several issues. The most common causes are overheating power supply problems or driver issues.
However, it is also possible that the problem is caused by a more serious hardware issue.
If you are having trouble troubleshooting the problem on your own, you may need to contact a qualified computer repair technician for assistance.
However, in most cases, the problem can be resolved by taking some simple steps to improve cooling and Tier 3 power.
Posts like Computer that Randomly Restarts:
- Best Gaming Headphones Without Mic
- The Best White Gaming Monitor
- 7 Best Gaming PCs Under $700
- The Best Gaming Headsets Under $200
- The Best Trackball Mouse for Gaming
- Best Gaming Headsets For Glasses Wearers
- Best Quiet Gaming Keyboards
- The Best Gaming PC Under $1000
- Best Gaming Headsets For Big Heads
- The Best Pre-Built Gaming PC Under $500
- The Most Expensive Gaming Keyboard: Top 7
- The Best Gaming Headsets Under $50
- The Best Gaming PCs Under $200
- The Best Palm Grip Gaming Mouse
- The Best Gaming Mouse Under $30
- 5 Best Gaming PC Fans for Optimal Cooling
- The Best Gaming Keypads
- 7 Best Gaming Monitors Under $250
- The Best Gaming PC Under $800
- The Best Gaming Mouse Under $20
People also Like:
- What is the Best Screen Size for Gaming?
- How to Turn Off Gaming Mode on Razer Keyboard
- How To Get Used To Gaming On A Keyboard And Mouse
- What Is The Best Monitor Size For Gaming?
- How To Change Resolution on LG Gaming Monitor
- How to Reduce CPU Usage While Gaming
- Troubleshooting Tips for Gaming Headsets
- The Ultimate Gaming PC Guide for Beginners
- How To Use A Secondary Monitor While Gaming
- Equipment for a Gaming YouTube Channel
- How Much Jitter Is Acceptable For Gaming
- Troubleshooting Tips for Gaming Mice
- How Long Does a Gaming Mouse Last?
- How Much Storage Does A Gaming PC Need?
- How Long Do Gaming Monitors Last?
- What Should CPU Usage be when Gaming?
- What Is The Normal CPU Temperature While Gaming?
- How many Fans should a Gaming PC Have?
- What Is Packet Loss in Gaming?
- Should I get a Gaming PC for Programming?